ONE-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY ON UNFINISHED DOORS
FIVE-YEAR WARRANTY ON FACTORY PRE-FINISHED INTERIOR DOORS
Sun Mountain doors are warranted to be of sound material and workmanship and to be free of defects which would cause the door to be unfit for ordinary recommended use for the period of twelve (12) months from the date of shipment. In addition, interior doors which have been pre-finished by Sun Mountain are warranted for an additional four (4) years. This extended warranty applies only to the construction of the door, and not the factory pre-finish itself. See Sun Mountain’s Door Finishing and Care Instructions for details on finish maintenance.
If a defect occurs within one year from the date of shipment, written notice of the defect must be provided to Sun Mountain. Buyer shall not return any goods until Sun Mountain has been provided a reasonable opportunity to inspect the goods at Buyer’s premises to determine whether a defect exists. Sun Mountain will not be liable for any doors repaired, returned, or replaced without prior written consent. If warranted doors contain defects covered under this limited warranty, Sun Mountain shall be limited to, at Sun Mountain’s option, 1) repairing or replacing the doors or 2) refunding the purchase price of the doors to Buyer. Doors will be repaired or replaced in the same stage of fitting and/or finishing as they were originally supplied. Sun Mountain will not pay any cost to remove defective doors or to install new doors, and will not be responsible for any finishing costs or consequential damages. Final warranty inspection will be made at Sun Mountain’s location, upon receipt of defective product. If the claim is found by Sun Mountain, in its sole discretion, to be invalid, neither repair/replacement nor refund will be issued.
This limited warranty does NOT apply to any of the following:
- Doors more than 8′ tall or 3′ 6″ wide
- Lited doors or one-panel wood doors over 6′8″ tall or 3′ wide
- Doors that have warp which does NOT exceed 1/4″ in the plane of the door (see below)
- Doors less than 1-3/4″ thick for exterior use
- Doors which have not been properly sealed on all six sides within 14 days of delivery, including the top and bottom edges of the door
- Damage caused by failure to comply with Sun Mountain’s “Finishing and Care Instructions”
- Damage due to improper or incorrect installation
- Exterior doors used in a commercial application
- Damage caused by others or by any cause beyond the control of Sun Mountain including, but not limited to, damage caused by misuse, abuse, accident, mishandling or by fire, flood, earthquake, storm, tornado or other acts of nature
- Misuse of a door including, but not limited to, using a door in an exterior application without adequate overhang, or with an inappropriate exterior finish color (Note: Adequate overhang depends on the typical weather conditions of the site where the building is located, but generally means an overhang projecting a distance away from the door at least equal to one-half the elevation difference between the bottom of the door and the base of the overhang structure. In order to reduce the chance of warping or checking, dark-colored finishes should be avoided on all exterior surfaces, especially if the door is exposed to direct sunlight.)
- Discoloration or rusting of decorative metal accents (clavos, grilles, strap hinges, etc.)
- Damage due to trimming the door more than 1/2″ from the top or 1-1/2″ from the bottom of the slab
- Panel movement or shrinkage (Note: Panels in Sun Mountain doors are designed to “float,” and will expand or contract in response to environmental conditions)
- Expansion or contraction due to varying environmental conditions, such as temperature and humidity
- Gates, or doors used in gate applications
- The appearance of any field-finished door
In addition, the following natural properties and characteristics add to the beauty of wood doors and are not considered defects:
- On all knotty wood species, knots which show light through the door will be filled and knots which do not show light through the door and are not filled should be expected and are not considered defects (Note: On knotty wood species, the location, quantity, and size of knots is unpredictable)
- On all wood species, natural variations in the color, texture, and density of the wood are common and always acceptable
- On wire brushed doors, an inconsistent face plane where stiles or mullions meet rails is acceptable to a depth change of 1/16″, and an apparent open connection between stiles and rails is acceptable to a width of 1/32″
- On cedar doors, surface checks of up to 1/32″ in width are acceptable and do not compromise the structural integrity of the door
For the purposes of this warranty, warp is defined as any distortion in the door itself and does not refer to the relationship of the door to the frame or jamb in which it is hung. The term “warp” includes bow, cup and twist. In measuring the amount of warp in a door, the following method shall be used: Bow, cup and twist shall be measured by placing a 7′ straightedge on the suspected concave face of the door at any angle with the door in its installed position. The measurement of warp shall be made at the point of maximum distance between the bottom of the straightedge and the face of the door.
If the claimed defect is warp, Sun Mountain may defer replacing or refunding the door for a period of up to twelve (12) months from the date of claim or date of installation, in order to permit conditioning and equalizing to humidity and temperature conditions. The deferral period will not be counted against the one-year warranty period.
Note: This warranty is effective for all products manufactured or sold after August 1, 2004.
Sun Mountain, Inc., designs and manufactures custom hardwood flooring products and related components. One of the natural beauties of such wood products is that they vary in color, texture and grain pattern. In addition, wood naturally changes with age, sunlight/ultra-violet (UV) exposure and the elements.
Sun Mountain, Inc., warranties all hardwood flooring products, components and installation services (if installed under service agreement with Sun Mountain, Inc.) to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the later of a) the original date of product shipment or b) installation completion (if installed under installation service agreement with Sun Mountain, Inc.). This Limited Warranty applies only to original hardwood flooring products, components and installation services (if installed under service agreement with Sun Mountain, Inc.) from Sun Mountain, Inc., to the original purchaser of such products, at the original ship to or product installation location. Under this Limited Warranty, Sun Mountain, Inc., in its sole discretion, may repair or replace such defective products and services. Sun Mountain, Inc., will not pay any cost to remove defective hardwood flooring products or to install new flooring, and will not be responsible for any finishing costs or consequential damages.
This Limited Warranty does not cover defects in hardwood flooring products, components and installation services (if installed under service agreement with Sun Mountain, Inc.) when, in the sole judgment and discretion of Sun Mountain, Inc., such products are placed or installed in locations not environmentally controlled to maintain stable and consistent temperature and humidity levels.
This Limited Warranty does not cover the following:
- Any hardwood flooring products, components and installation services (if installed under service agreement with Sun Mountain, Inc.) damaged, in the sole judgment and discretion of Sun Mountain, Inc., by accident, negligence, alteration, misuse, abuse, flooding, faulty plumbing, leaking appliances, overflowing tubs or sinks, improper cleaning or care, pets, sand or grit and/or normal wear and tear.
- Any hardwood flooring products or components damaged, in the sole judgment and discretion of Sun Mountain, Inc., by improper storage, exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity and/or improper installation (if not installed under service agreement with Sun Mountain, Inc.). Refer to the NWFA for proper installation guidelines, including sub floor preparation.
- Changes in color or size of hardwood flooring products or components due to a) natural mellowing or aging of the wood or finish, b) the effects of natural or artificial light, and/or c) changes in temperature or humidity.
Sun Mountain, Inc., excludes and is not responsible for any consequential or incidental damages arising out of breech of any expressed, written or implied warranty related to its hardwood flooring products, components and installation services (if installed under service agreement with Sun Mountain, Inc.) outside this Limited Warranty.
THIS LIMITED WARRANTY IS EXPRESSLY IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED (INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A SPECIFIC PURPOSE, OR USE), AND OF ALL OTHER OBLIGATIONS OR LIABILITIES ON THE PART OF SUN MOUNTAIN, INC. SUN MOUNTAIN, INC. NEITHER ASSUMES NOR AUTHORIZES ANY PERSON, INCLUDING SALES REPRESENTATIVES, TO EXTEND OR ASSUME ANY OTHER WARRANTY, CONDITION OR LIABILITY IN CONNECTION WITH THE SALE OF ITS PRODUCTS OR SERVICES. THE REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF DEFECTIVE PRODUCTS WILL BE THE BUYER’S EXCLUSIVE REMEDY.