Sun Mountain manufactures the highest quality wide plank flooring, available in both solid and engineered construction. Sun Mountain floors are inviting, durable, and timeless—the very essence of quality living.
AVAILABLE WOOD SPECIES
Sun Mountain’s flooring is available in six wood species, with some woods further designated by “grade,” such as “knotty” (sometimes called “character”) or “select” (clear, with few or no knots). In addition, unique effects can be achieved on certain species by special “cuts” of the logs, such as “rift” and “quarter” cuts. Flooring is available in the following wood species:
- Cherry (in both knotty and select grades)
- Hickory (in both knotty and select grades)
- Oak, Red (select grade; available in flat or rift and quarter-cuts)
- Oak, White (in both knotty and select grades; available in flat, rift, or quarter-cuts)
- Sapele (select grade; available in flat or rift and quarter-cuts)
- Walnut (in both knotty and select grades)
- Reclaimed Barnwood, weathered face (a mix of Red and White Oak, sourced from old buildings, barns, and granaries)
- Reclaimed Barnwood, smooth face (a mix of Red and White Oak, sourced from old buildings, barns, and granaries, and planed to a smooth surface)
Key features of Sun Mountain’s flooring include:
- True wide plank, up to 9″ wide (on selected wood species)
- Custom made in the U.S. (at Sun Mountain’s northern Colorado factory)
- Direct sales from the manufacturer to the trade or homeowner
- Short lead times—typically 6 to 8 weeks from order to delivery
- Factory wood finishing options—including high quality, six-sided, UV-cured finishes, a selection of standard colors, and available custom color matching
- Personalized service
SOLID WOOD FLOORING
Solid wood flooring is recommended for at or above grade applications only. Solid wood floors are not recommended for “direct glue to concrete” or radiant heat sub-floor applications. Standard features of Sun Mountain’s solid wood flooring include:
- 3/4″ thickness
- End-matched tongue and groove
- Widths up to 8″ (on selected species)
Engineered flooring is strongly recommended for below grade applications (due to high moisture content in basements). Engineered flooring is also strongly recommended for “direct glue to concrete” applications and installations over radiant heat sub-floors. Advantages of Sun Mountain’s engineered flooring include less shrink and expansion related to moisture than solid wood—reducing warping, cupping and cracking, and widths up to 9″ (on selected species). Standard features of Sun Mountain’s engineered flooring products include:
- Two-piece material (core, plus wear layer veneer) approximately 3/4″ thick
- Approximately 9/16″ thick core material—11-ply alternating grain laminate material, glued with exterior-grade Class 3 glue
- 4mm (greater than 1/8″ thick) wear layer veneer (can be sanded and refinished multiple times)
- End-matched tongue and groove
- Widths up to 9″ (on selected species)
Sun Mountain offers a choice of edge detail for flooring—the profile of the flooring where boards come together side by side. Square Edge is available on unfinished floors only (with finishing to be provided on-site by a third party installer or finisher).
Sun Mountain can distress new wood to give it a worn, antique look and feel. Distressed wood options include:
For Light and Medium distress, skilled artisans do this by hand, using a variety of Old World tools.
Re-sawn distress is achieved with a saw blade striking lightly across the face of the flooring boards, at a 90-degree angle to the grain of the wood. Natural variations in the surface elevation of the wood cause “hits and misses” with the saw blade, creating a rough-hewn, worn look reminiscent of wood flooring from the Old West. Re-sawn distress is only available on Sun Mountain’s engineered flooring.
In addition to flooring, Sun Mountain can provide custom-made “treads” and “risers” for stairs.
Treads are the flat, horizontal boards that a person steps on when climbing a staircase. Risers are the vertical elements in a set of stairs, forming the space between one step and the next. In effect, the riser provides the vertical measurement between stairs.
Since stairs often require unique measurements, including radius measurements for curved staircases, Sun Mountain’s treads and risers must be custom-quoted. Please contact Sun Mountain to request a quote for these materials.
Sun Mountain offers the highest quality factory-applied flooring finishes—available in a large selection of standard colors, or custom color matched to taste. Standard colors are grouped in palettes of light, brown, gray, and red tones. Stains are water-based, with a durable UV top coat applied to all six sides of the board.
Select species and desired color palette below to see Sun Mountain’s standard wood finishes for flooring. Select multiple species to compare. (Finishes shown here are available on Sun Mountain flooring only, and are shown on select grade wood.)